Cost of Living support

As costs rise, we know that tight budgets are getting tighter.
To help, we've collected some available resources and funding.


Apply for debt relief from energy bills.

The following energy suppliers offer grants to their customers. Click on your provider to apply:

If you can’t get a grant from your supplier, you might be able to get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust

Grants are available to anyone – you don’t have to be a British Gas customer. Before applying, you’ll need to get debt advice (ways to contact us here).


Apply to top up your rent and/or pay off rent arrears.

For those who are in receipt of the housing element of Universal Credit or Housing Benefit. 


Apply for discounted, capped or reduced water bills.

For Thames Water customers 

For Affinity customers

Council Tax

Apply for a reduction or relief from council tax bills.

Those eligible can get a discount on their bill.

Discretionary support to help those suffering hardship and unable to pay their council tax.

Direct Support

From Citizens Advice Barnet

Ask us about the following:

  • Food Bank Vouchers – We can issue up to 3 food vouchers per person in a 6-month period. (Some food banks do not require vouchers, details here.)
  • Fuel Vouchers -We can issue fuel vouchers for those on prepayment metres (3 per person in a 6-month period, not more than once every 10 days).
  • Household Support Fund – We can issue one-off small grants to people who meet our eligibility criteria (review of your bank statements/ associated evidence showing the need for support).

From Barnet Council

Discretionary support from the Council subject to meeting their eligibility criteria:

  • Must be aged 16 or over, AND
  • Must have been a resident in Barnet for at least six weeks, or if you are moving into Barnet from an institution such as a hospital, care home or prison, or fleeing violence, domestic or international, you must have a local connection, AND
  • Must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit – Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Tax Credits, Guaranteed Pension Credit or Universal Credit (or likely to be in receipt of these benefits on release from an institution), OR 
  • Applicant has recently come off a qualifying benefit due to starting work but has yet to be paid

Additional Support

Help with school uniform costs